Maybe its language limitations, maybe its shyness but many students find it difficult to speak out in class. We try to develop a safe environments, establish relationships and call on them more frequently. Still, some students will not even ask for help. When this happens, what should you do?
- Allow students to write questions down and meet with students privately to address concerns.
- Meet with students and discuss any issues that may be making them uncomfortable. Work out solutions together.
- Consider having the student evaluated by the study team for possible learning disability or health issue.
- If available, talk with a counselor for suggestions to address the problem.
- Designate other students to act as a resource for any needed assistance
- Check to see if students continue this behavior in other classrooms or with other teachers.